The 6th Annual Arlington Turkey TrotTM has once again selected “The Shoe Bank” in the greater Dallas/Fort Worth area to receive the net proceeds.
“The Shoe Bank”, was founded in 1989 by Mike Barringer, with just one goal – to simply put comfortable, dependable, shoes on a few hundred homeless men living on the streets around homeless shelters in the Metroplex. Now, 25 plus years later the program provides shoes to more than 30,000 needy people every year – locally, nationally, and even abroad. Both the “The Shoe Bank” and founder Mike Barringer have been the well-deserving recipients of local and national recognition, such as:
- 1991 – The Shoe Bank was officially recognized by President George Bush.
- 1995 – Founder Mike Barringer was awarded the JC PENNY Golden Rule Award.
- 1997 – Founder Mike Barringer was recognized for his outstanding community service by the Sprint PCS Volunteer Connection Program.
- 2000 – Founder Mike Barringer was awarded the George Washington Honor Medal by the Freedom Foundation at Valley Forge.
- 2008 – Founder Mike Barringer is presented with the “Martha Allen Award” for care given to the patients at Terrell State Hospital.
Locally “The Shoe Bank” is the primary footwear provider to the Arlington Life Shelter, Mission Arlington, and Arlington Safe Haven.
Originally, good used men’s, women’s, and children’s athletic shoes came through donation points at schools, athletic facilities, and athletic retail stores such as The RUNNER in Arlington, Fort Worth Runing Co., Luke’s Locker, and the New Balance Store each hosting The Shoe Bank drop boxes. Donors have now grown to include nationally known Athletic Footwear Brands, such as Brooks and New Balance with other brands coming on board soon.